A new project for a new car!

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
flak_monkey

A new project for a new car!

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:17 pm

I hate a sealed box. Sure, the musicality is nice, but I crave the low, low stuff. Since my box is only 3.2 cubes with a single fifteen, I modeled it out in WinISD and decided that a 28hz port would do nicely. I prefer ports with flares on both ends, and I chose a four inch diameter port tube from Precision Port and had at it. Only one problem, and I knew this from the get-go. This port would be too long to fit in the box. I thought about bending it but it was just too much work.

So I cut two 3/4inch mdf rings the exact diameter of the port, and one 1/8 inch plywood ring that was about 10 inches. I clamped them all together after slapping on some wood glue, then let it dry. Covered it in fleece and broke out the fiberglass resin. So far, I'm liking my results. Next weekend I will be pulling the covering off of the box and bondoing the whole thing smooth. Then I will paint it to match my PPI Art Series amps. White with designs. My big badass 1200w PPI amp started shorting to ground, so I thought it'd be an ample opportunity to make a better fitting amp rack, which is what I will finish up in a few weeks before the big g2g.

Here's pics for now. Note the port thing is not bondo'd. I ran out of time. Right now it looks like a dog bowl, I think. Had to use damping material to get it to seal properly, but it's all still temporary. I can see that it will look far better soon when it's flush and smooth.

So now I'm getting much more deeebeeez. 6 more down low.

And I miss my big amp. I'm using the first amp I bought, a dinky 400w Kole Audio. Well, technically it's 560 but since the stock bose stuff is still in GRRRR I have to crank the gain on my amp way up. Stockers are too sensitive, so I set the HU to put out low power.

Amp rack is out right now, building a new one. This box was expensive but it beats the last mess I got in with my fiberglassing. This actually worked out kinda nicely. It didn't get ruined!!!!

Here's the car.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:00 pm

Expect periodic updates to follow. I'll take pics of the charging system tomorrow if it's not raining.
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Your sub has an anus....hehe
KU40

Postby KU40 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:13 pm

hehe. it looks a little inflamed. I think they have creams for that.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 am

KU40 wrote:hehe. it looks a little inflamed. I think they have creams for that.

Yep, its a stinky cream called Bondo and spot glaze putty. LOL.
KU40

Postby KU40 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:13 pm

not a bad idea though, pretty creative. Did you figure you needed to tune low in order to counteract some of the lowend losses from the small box or do you just like them tuned that low?

and I like the cover, it evens things out nicely to all the edges of the trunk. Was that an aftermarket piece or did you build it?

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:47 pm

KU40 wrote:not a bad idea though, pretty creative. Did you figure you needed to tune low in order to counteract some of the lowend losses from the small box or do you just like them tuned that low?

and I like the cover, it evens things out nicely to all the edges of the trunk. Was that an aftermarket piece or did you build it?

That's a prefab box, actually. http://www.subthump.com makes them. 3/4 inch mdf and heavy bracing. I got one on sale. Worth every penny since I didn't have to hurt my back building it.

Also, I tune low because I like it low. The box is 3.2 cubes, which is smaller than ideal but I typically don't tune past the 30's any way. This is the highest tuning I've ever done for car. I like the boost at 30-40 I'm getting, and still get pretty damn good output down to 20hz. I'll take pics soon, I had a tire related disaster this weekend. Ugh, broke as hell.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:47 pm

More pictures. The amp rack is out and my PPI A1200 is in for repair. I have to use this temporary setup so I'll at least have some bass.

Don't say anything about washing the car, GA is in a full on water ban. And I'm too broke for the car wash.

and here's my ugly temporary amp rack. It's embarrassingly awful. I miss my art amps so much. But the autobot sticker helps (adds 22 horsepower, too!!!)
Proof of purchase...

flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:12 pm

KU40

Postby KU40 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 pm

I stole your idea of the Autobot decal and ordered one in electric blue for my explorer.

ok vid, but play something lower so that thing moves!

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

Return to “Project Logs”