got my old Brahma 15" back... going to turn it into an 18!

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
Member02

got my old Brahma 15" back... going to turn it into an 18!

Postby Member02 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:58 pm

I spent every possible post talking to dan asking him when he would build me an 18" brahma... the crowd for it just never was there (i was and a couple others, but not enough for that bitch to care)

anyhow, I just recieved my old brahma back! from 2002 (or 2001, can't remember)! It was my friends cousin... I sold it to a good owner (my friend), then he sold it to an idiot (who blew it after less than one year.)

I figured out why it blew, the spider had been disconnected halfway around, prolly got the voice coil out of alignment and it overheated. I also noticed the former is made of copper! other than that, the motor is fine of course. my shitty camera just broke (it's a 6 yr old kodak crap), so looks like i've actually gotta get my cannon fixed.

well, I took it apart here, and soon I'll be ordering parts from the awsome guys at Fi audio to rebuild this baby into an 18" brahma!

kevox

Postby kevox » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:14 pm

How does a rebuild like this work exactly? Good luck with it! And I bet it'll rock...18" of Brahma = drool!
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:27 pm

well, Fi will sell me the 18" basket, AND a 18" recone that matches up well with the xbl2 motor. then I attempt like a fool to assemble it all correctly (saves about $100 in shipping this way!)
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:34 am

good luck. Sounds like that second dude was just totally abusing it, blew the spider off with overexcursion and cooked the voice coil with power. what box/amp did he have, do you know?
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:22 am

wow you're an asshole...stole my idea(we think alike)...lol given i still have to get my brahma motor(want to convert it from a 12 to an 18 and the one i am getting is a mark 2)...if you don't mind me asking, how much would Fi Charge for that kit, the basket and 18" recone...did they tell you how well it would all work together? because i would still want it to sound good...thought about using it for a home audio sub
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
Member02

Postby Member02 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:56 pm

KU40 wrote:good luck. Sounds like that second dude was just totally abusing it, blew the spider off with overexcursion and cooked the voice coil with power. what box/amp did he have, do you know?

he had a Directed 1100d (the old heavy duty aluminum chassis) and it was in a 2.5 cu ft box I built sealed for SQ, NOT designed to take 1400 watts probably clipped for a long time, but for good sound, he obviously has bad taste in good sound or he wouldn't have blasted it bad enough to destroy.

todd.brust wrote:wow you're an asshole...stole my idea(we think alike)...lol given i still have to get my brahma motor(want to convert it from a 12 to an 18 and the one i am getting is a mark 2)...if you don't mind me asking, how much would Fi Charge for that kit, the basket and 18" recone...did they tell you how well it would all work together? because i would still want it to sound good...thought about using it for a home audio sub

I'm not sure yet, I made sure that they could sell the stuff to me about 3 weeks ago, and they said sure and to just give them a call or PM on their forum when I was ready to order the parts. He's familiar with the brahma's xbl2 motor and it's softparts so he said he should have something that'll work fine and give it a tiny bit less power handling (fine by me!)
fbi90909

Postby fbi90909 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:48 pm

think it's possible to save the brahma center dustcap peice so you can place it on the new recone? that would be pretty cool. keep it as original as possible.

in a few days i may be ordering my recone for my sx from them. want to convert it to a 15 and recone it myself lol. i too had emailed and asked about a month ago, just had to wait for funds.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:29 pm

hm... good call, I was going to hang the brahma cone on my wall as a sort of trophy, but I like the idea of saving the dustcap if possible (gonna be tough)
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Let me have the b15 and I will give you my se15 or sx15.....I cannot remember what one it is.....se15 I thinks though.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:48 pm

HAHAHA, i know how bad you want a mkII b15, but sorry buddy.

I've still got that deal with the northern virginian to get his B15 (also broken) eventually, pherhaps I could fix it and sell it to you? for a special price, or I could use it to even out the weight on the lefthand side of my car (the MT) and keep it in the passenger seat at all times? hahhhsh...

Return to “Project Logs”