first post....compatability question

General car audio discussion area.
KU40

Postby KU40 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 am

bigmike1 wrote:
KU40 wrote:
Where did you find those size specs for a sealed box?

i was going through some reviews on the subs before i bought them and i came across one from car stereo mag and it said in there, this is a quote:

"recommendations: a compact size of 0.85ft3 and an optimum size of 1.1ft3. Because of the sheer bulk of this subwoofer, I was surprised by just how small these two recommended enclosures were. As is my custom, I gave the manufacturer a call to get their absolute best enclosure recommen-
dation for sound quality. When Larry Ratcliff of RE Audio gave me the specs, I
was taken aback, shocked even, when the answer came back almost three times
larger then the recommended size at 2.843ft3! That’s one big box, but it is more
in line with what I would expect."

i just figured that was fairly reliable info, or is it? so i was just taking that appx times 2. no good?

I had just never heard of that before. If an RE guy said so, by all means try it. Just make sure and pay attention to the mechanical limits since the box is larger than they recommend on their site. I'm not sure if they put the box recommendations on their website to take into account mechanical limits with that kind of power.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
emperorjj1

Postby emperorjj1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:37 am

if larry says so then that should work. only one i would ask for some more advice would be david but hes no longer with RE (shame really)
emperorjj1

Postby emperorjj1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:44 am

bigmike1 wrote:yah, just curious.

dont remember 100% but i belive its 2.3 per chamber sealed double baffle 3/4mdf
bigmike1

been a while

Postby bigmike1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:14 am

ok so i was working really hard on trying to fit those 2 big *** xxx in the back of my truck, and it really wasnt gonna happen to maintain a comfortable driving position (unless we were gonna do a blow through) so the next thing was a pair of MX 12's. and even that was kinda iffy.....

so there went the second set of subs i wanted.... had to order 1 MX D2, in place of the pair of D1's.... then came the amplifier difficulty. we were looking originally at Zapco, who was going to have an SPL series coming out, but scrapped it because they were having some difficulty with somthin' or other. then went a memphis mojo, but theyre way to power hungry, like to be above 15v all the time im told, more for burping.

so heres the final setup...finally. gonna be the 1 MX 12, powered by a US MD2D. dont have exact specs on box yet, will have that and pics when done. still waiting on the alternator, but will be running a Kinetik 2400 in a battery rack in the cab.

will be running a US MD42 to a set of Zapco 16.2 seperates in the front doors. will be running bi-amped so each speaker is one channel of the amp. rear speakers will be built in the rear by the box, probably a set of JL coax, running of head unit (Alpine IVA-D106), just for some rear fill. I'm told the zapco's are screamers.

probably forgetting some other stuff but itll come to me. in the mean time ive spent about $600 on some dynamat. the entire cab has been done, roof, doors, inside of doors, floor.... ill try to get some pics up. kinda having trouble shrinking um to 100kb's...
bigmike1

some pics

Postby bigmike1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:29 am

ImageImage
bigmike1

alright cool it worked....

Postby bigmike1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:31 am

this is from when i had the pair of D1's.... next to it is a 12" rockford P2. Poor little guy :(

ill get some more up as i get more/time.... 1
bigmike1

project work truck

Postby bigmike1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:01 am

passenger door, other side the same obviously. all boring stuff i know. hopefully this weekend ill have some more stuff up.

oh and ignore those crimps there in the speaker hole... thats all gone.
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:26 pm

Keep the pictures coming!
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
bigmike1

todays work

Postby bigmike1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:34 am

ok, today was wiring, wiring and some more wiring. upgraded the alternator wire, underhood grounds. installed battery in truck, wired up amps and door speakers. got a few pics, obviously not as cool as the finished product is. hopefully gonna have that tomorrow. just a couple pics of how chaotic things were.

emperorjj1

Postby emperorjj1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 am

wow chaotic indeed... i know what thats like

Return to “Car Audio”