Stupid keyboard

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
KU40

Stupid keyboard

Postby KU40 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:45 am

The keyboard on my Dell laptop crapped out again last night. Second time in the five years I've owned it. There I am, typing along, then all of a sudden it just decides to stop putting the letters I am typing on the screen. Last time I sent it in to Dell because it was still under warranty and they fixed it free and within 3 days (above excellent service), but now my warranty is out.

Does anybody know if I can have it replaced locally or if I have to send it back to dell? Anybody know what it will cost roughly?

Such good timing, too. Finals week now and leaving on Monday for a 3 week class in Colorado. ****.

i've tried restarting, reinstalling drivers, checking for errors, etc. Just seems to be a hardware problem, and last time they just replaced the keyboard and it worked perfectly. A lead or connection must have gotten burnt up, shorted out, disconnected, or something.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Member02

Postby Member02 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:15 am

I hate to say it, but you should just get a new laptop, student loans are awsome. But first, since you have no warranty, open it up yourself, see if you can find anything broken or disconnected inside, and then finally if you can't solve it... do a office space on it... go to a field and smash it with a sledge hammer.

Consumer electronics such as computers have an average life span of 2 years before breakage (I've got tons of stuff older than the clothes I wear everyday that stil work), if you get that fixed it'll prolly break somewhere else soon after, plus any laptop 5 years old has gotta be really slow.

so go to the library, camp out there, finish your papers, buy a new laptop.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Wed May 16, 2007 10:31 am

or better yet, go spend $20 on a USB keyboard and get your *** back to work. Sure it's not a long term fix, but it will work for the time being.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:43 am

wow, you totally solved the problem... I feel dumb.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Wed May 16, 2007 10:47 am

Oh, i don't think it solves the problem, but it does allow him to finish finals... I'd still take it apart after finals and fix it if i were you. But in a pinch, a non-integrated keyboard will work i suppose.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!

There are only 10 types of people in the world,

those who understand binary, and those who don't.
KU40

Postby KU40 » Wed May 16, 2007 11:05 am

yeah I was thinking about getting a USB keyboard, but I don't really want to have that forever, since an integrated keyboard is already there, kinda silly to have two for the rest of it's life. An immediate fix would be ok, but I'd still want to fix it at some point.

and actually it's not slow. Fast enough for everything I use it for and still performs flawlessly 99% of the time, other than I get a blue screen if I leave it on continuously for 2 weeks but once I restart it's fine. I don't want to buy a new computer as I'd rather spend the money elsewhere (like rent), and I'd rather not take out any more loans.

I'm not really concerned about it's connection with finals, as I really don't need it for them (all exams are written and use books or notes from class to study). The problem just adds more stress to exam week.

I have a couple CE friends graduating this weekend, maybe I can get one of them to look at it before they ship off to their jobs.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300

Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded

SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
black00

Postby black00 » Wed May 16, 2007 11:52 am

been there myself.....

My DELL laptop ribbon connection to the board always came unclicked...not a good solid 100% connection...drove me crazy till i figured it out. The bad part is, is that the board/frame is weak and cannot stay "true / flat" any longer...and the bow of the bend is perpendicular to the damn ribbon connection...boooooo
you'll have to unscrew the screws on the bottom of the laptop and carefully pull the keyboard out till you see the ribbon connection and press it down somemore.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed May 16, 2007 12:44 pm

This is why I hate the dells and HP's. They all do this crap. Every other dell at the shop has a bum monitor or a broken keyboard, and every other HP has a bad power connector.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:00 pm

and THAT is why I pay $100+ for the extended 2 year replacement plan, after 2 years I break my laptop, and get it replaced by the newer, and BETTER model from dell. That's one of the nice things about computer technology going obsolete so quickly.

I'm currently on my second Dell, the plan worked flawlessly, thanks to a friend that works at dell, I took the risk of paying an extra $100+ without worry.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Wed May 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Member02 wrote:and THAT is why I pay $100+ for the extended 2 year replacement plan, after 2 years I break my laptop, and get it replaced by the newer, and BETTER model from dell. That's one of the nice things about computer technology going obsolete so quickly.

I'm currently on my second Dell, the plan worked flawlessly, thanks to a friend that works at dell, I took the risk of paying an extra $100+ without worry.

Ah, what a perfectly unethical and illegal thing to do. :rolleyes:

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”