Router Question

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Thoraudio

Router Question

Postby Thoraudio » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:10 am

I got an Ativa G router (Office Depot brand, made by Belkin) for the house, to use with my Omnifi and probably for a kids computer soon.

Anyway, I've noticed with AIM that every once in a while, it drops my connection to the main computer (hardwired). Now it's only for a second, and w/out AIM being on I'd probably not notice it. Is this normal?

Latest firmware updates etc.... Ativa online service in non-existant.

and for another minor weirdy.... if you type in http://www.ativasupport.com you go to the ativa page.

If you type in ativasupport.com it takes you to Belkin.... weird.

thoughts or ideas?
whyfore is I here?
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:39 am

Thoraudio wrote:I got an Ativa G router (Office Depot brand, made by Belkin) for the house, to use with my Omnifi and probably for a kids computer soon.

Anyway, I've noticed with AIM that every once in a while, it drops my connection to the main computer (hardwired). Now it's only for a second, and w/out AIM being on I'd probably not notice it. Is this normal?

Latest firmware updates etc.... Ativa online service in non-existant.

and for another minor weirdy.... if you type in http://www.ativasupport.com you go to the ativa page.

If you type in ativasupport.com it takes you to Belkin.... weird.

thoughts or ideas?

I have a Belkin router, too, and have noticed on occasion it will flip for a second. I think that it's when the security is updating. Have you contacted Belkin support? And does your router have a lifetime warranty like Belkin products? If not, then you may want to just buy the Belkin. Mine was about $40 at BBY.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
John

Postby John » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:05 pm

I had a belkin router before, and it would flip out for a little bit once or twice within a less than half an hour, but it would only do it maybe once every two weeks (that I would notice). I discovered it and started watching it after I noticed it would disconnect one of my other program connections, some old ftp file transfer program...

I don't use AIM much anymore (and no longer use their program). AIM and their servers aren't the most reliable to begin with, I use trillian which automatically reconnects, but I have see it (AIM only) disconnect for no reason, and even on a different machine.
ekincam

Postby ekincam » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:45 am

I have a Linksys WRT54g and my computer is wired to the router. Every once in a while, maybe 2 or 3 times a day, AIM loses connection for a couple secs and goes back on.

It's annoying, but it I just let it be since it doesn't bother me that much.
Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:26 pm

i updated the firmware for my router a few days ago.

now my router does not work.

thanks belkin.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:16 pm

It happens. Rarely, but it happens. There isnt much that you can do to fix it. If it is a recurring problem then contact Belkin about solutions. :)
John

Postby John » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm

This thread is three months old, but okay...:cwm21:
MorbidDK

Little late, sure but good info. :)

Postby MorbidDK » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:55 pm

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”