Can't boot to CD?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
nismo

Can't boot to CD?

Postby nismo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:25 am

I built my computer a year ago...its an AMD Duron 1.8, 1 Gb mem, 80 Gb hd. For a long time, it would randomly take forever to boot. I kind of traced it to the USB drive being the cause, so it was fine when I'd leave the USB HD off.

I tried about 2-3 months ago to format the hard drive and put XP Pro on it again. For some reason, it wouldn't let me wipe the drive. So when I installed XP, it just installed over itself. I wasn't happy with it, but I didn't have time to mess with it.

Last night, I tried to do a clean install again...but for some reason XP installer wouldn't let me wipe the drive. I tried my standby copy of 98se for booting to prompt for formatting, and for some reason the computer hangs right before it should try and boot from CD. I left the computer on last night and took the dog out, and it looked like it had tried to boot to CD but then hung right after that, even with XP SP2 in it.

I finally got a floppy drive out of another computer, and stuck it in and used Partition Magic 5.0 to wipe the drive, but even that was a PITA and took a couple tries to work.

I've reset the bios and it still won't boot to CD, and the computer won't boot period.

I'm suspecting maybe there was a surge, but don't know for sure...anybody got an idea about my problem?

Thanks,
Eric
Francious70

Postby Francious70 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:27 am

Check your BIOS and make sure the CD is set to boot first, not HDD 0. And to format the system drive, you'll want to delete the partition, and then format it in a certain file system, like NTFS.
nismo

Postby nismo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:09 am

I've tried deleting the partition and XP setup won't let me do it...however I did format it. I've also triple-checked the bios so that's probably not the cause.

I do have a low-level formatter I'm gonna give a shot tonight, but beyond that, I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks,
Eric
Francious70

Postby Francious70 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:36 pm

If I'm not mistaken, if you can get to a command prompt, you can use the fdisk command to format and create partitions.
nismo

Postby nismo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:29 pm

I can't get to a command prompt, but I did find out that the only time I can boot to CD is on a cold boot, and only then sometimes. I did finally get into the Windows setup using the SP2 CD, and its running at home right now (I'm at work).

Hopefully I got it.

Thanks,
Eric

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”