OT: Hard drive SATA vs. IDE

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
User avatar
thylantyr
New Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:00 pm

Postby thylantyr » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:35 am

People miss the point why the industry is moving to SATA.

The mechanical nature of the hard drive is always going to be
slower than the electronic interface.
blah_blah_blah

Postby blah_blah_blah » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:58 am

thylantyr wrote:People miss the point why the industry is moving to SATA.

The mechanical nature of the hard drive is always going to be
slower than the electronic interface.


never say always when it comes to computer equipment.....

and i dont think anyone here is missing the point......the reason for serial ata right now is its the next step....IDE and ATA can only provide so much bandwith....serial ATA provides more bandwith to accomdate the hard drive spinning @ 10k rpm's just like when DVD drives where getting faster and faster and faster....now theyre stuck at what? 56x? 62x? somethin like that.....(sorry ive ben outta the game for a wile) although i believe the DVD drives limitations are due to the actual disk and not a bandwith issue......but none the less the compairson is still valid.


and thor...i couldnt tell you the bandwith difference between ata and ide sorry :(
User avatar
Jakezor
Posts: 5251
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:00 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Postby Jakezor » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:12 pm

Serial ATA maxes out at 150mb/sec versus ATA's maximum of 133. Of course those are peak burst numbers. And yes ATA = IDE WEs.

And not many SATA drives are 10,000 rpm either. You have to check the specs on each particular drive.

AFAIK only Seagate makes SATA native disks, and AFAIAC WD Raptors are not worth the price premium at all.
User avatar
Thoraudio
Posts: 3407
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Montgomery, Al
Contact:

Postby Thoraudio » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:38 pm

allright, went to BB at lunch and picked up a Seagate 80 gig drive. 7200/IDE, but it's got 8 megs of buffer as opposed to the usual 2. and it was fairly cheap. $89 with a $40 rebate.

even cheaper than NewEgg
whyfore is I here?
User avatar
bass_lover1
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:36 pm
Location: NPR, FL
Contact:

Postby bass_lover1 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:20 pm

User avatar
nourdmrolnmt1
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:00 am
Location: auburn ohio
Contact:

Postby nourdmrolnmt1 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:48 pm

bass_lover1 wrote:Better deal IMO ]


thats got nothing on [URL=http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3492233]THIS


just add it to your cart and you might get a surprise 50$ off.

MIKE
god knows what im gunna do
blah_blah_blah

Postby blah_blah_blah » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:51 pm

here in america we put the $ before the amount. :D
User avatar
nourdmrolnmt1
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:00 am
Location: auburn ohio
Contact:

Postby nourdmrolnmt1 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:55 pm

blah_blah_blah wrote:here in america we put the $ before the amount. :D


it doesnt make sense that way though, you dont say it dollar 50, you say 50 dollars, and the $ sign stands for dollars.

and im from america tooooo!!!!!!!!

MIKE
god knows what im gunna do
User avatar
thylantyr
New Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:00 pm

Postby thylantyr » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:31 pm

blah_blah_blah wrote:never say always when it comes to computer equipment.....

and i dont think anyone here is missing the point......the reason for serial ata right now is its the next step....IDE and ATA can only provide so much bandwith....serial ATA provides more bandwith to accomdate the hard drive spinning @ 10k rpm's just like when DVD drives where getting faster and faster and faster....now theyre stuck at what? 56x? 62x? somethin like that.....(sorry ive ben outta the game for a wile) although i believe the DVD drives limitations are due to the actual disk and not a bandwith issue......but none the less the compairson is still valid.


and thor...i couldnt tell you the bandwith difference between ata and ide sorry :(


Here is a formula found on the web.

Internal Sustained Transfer Rate (STR)
[i]The result is in bytes per second. Simple, right? ]

http://www.storagereview.com/map/lm.cgi/str

Those specs are pretty good for a common drive and the 'mechanical' section
can only transfer about 23MB/sec... Even if this drive spun at 20,000 RPM the old ATA
66MB/sec 'electronics' could handle this.

Higher bandwidth electronics helps when you have many I/O devices feeding into
some controller trying to manage all of them, ie, 10 drives in a server sending 23MB/sec
of data to one controller at the same time sending a combined 230MB/sec of I/O through
the computer/// hehe /// ...
blah_blah_blah

Postby blah_blah_blah » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:40 pm

if i undestood that math i might agree.......but its wwwwaaaaayyyyyy over my head so ill just nod


::nods::


but if thats the case then sata will never catch on....your basic home user dosnt even know what a raid configuration is.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest