Squire Turbo Systems

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
Penguin4x4

Squire Turbo Systems

Postby Penguin4x4 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:55 pm

A friend showed me this:

http://www.ststurbo.com/

pretty interesting if you ask me, even though the air filter is pretty much right next to the back tires and exhaust tips :cwm17:
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:15 pm

while pumping losses are not as big a concern as people think (spool up time), it isn't an optimal solution in terms of water cooled (i.e. it isn't) or oil cool (extra pump) and water getting in to the filter from splashes etc. it works for tight packaging, but I wouldn't use it with any piece of mind (purely personal)

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
John

Postby John » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Sound_Miata wrote:while pumping losses are not as big a concern as people think

That was one of the initial issues that I thought of when seeing this.
kevox

Postby kevox » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:39 pm

So I'm confused...whats so different about this system? I couldn't find any pics where it showed the turbo installed.
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:15 pm

It is remote mount turbo, placed in the back side of the car, exhaust comes out of the headers out the back through to spin the turbo, and air is shoved back through the intake from the back to the front... when you lift up the hood all you see is the intake coming from the back side somewhere.

slick setup. if I was looking for some large gains in a pretty decent priced package, I would not hesitate to get one.
Dibiase M.

Postby Dibiase M. » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:56 am

it would be easy to do a DIY version of this setup... the only problem would be oil for the turbo...

it would be obnoxiously easy to put flanges on the exhaust piping and run charge pipe to the front... the main issues would be getting oil for the turbo, ground clearance, and space issues on the underside of the car (not a big deal on trucks & SUVs but definitely a cause for concern with most cars...)
kevox

Postby kevox » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:29 am

JordanBrown wrote:It is remote mount turbo, placed in the back side of the car, exhaust comes out of the headers out the back through to spin the turbo, and air is shoved back through the intake from the back to the front... when you lift up the hood all you see is the intake coming from the back side somewhere.

slick setup. if I was looking for some large gains in a pretty decent priced package, I would not hesitate to get one.

OH ok. So why do they call it "remote"? Can you turn it on and off at-will? lol
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
John

Postby John » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:44 am

kevox wrote:OH ok. So why do they call it "remote"? Can you turn it on and off at-will? lol

It can be located anywhere in the exhaust system, therefore "remote", rather than a traditional 'local' setup.

remote v. local

Edit:
JordanBrown wrote:when you lift up the hood all you see is the intake coming from the back side somewhere.

In many vehicles, that'd be pretty easy to hide by contstructing or modifying a stock looking 'air box'.
Penguin4x4

Postby Penguin4x4 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:12 pm

From what I have seen and read there is only a 1 psi loss by remote mounting, so thats nice...
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:28 pm

the 1psi is dependent on pipe ID and length of course.

I wouldn't use the stock airbox, I'd just leave it in place to make it look stock.

use a local air source, pulling air from that far away (engine bay to where the mufflers are) is just looking for a power loss.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*

slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.

Return to “Automotive Performance”